Moussaka with Bechamel Morfat
For 12 people:
- 1 package MORFAT Bechamel
- 1 ½ liter milk
- 1 kg beef mincemeat
- 12 medium eggplants
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teacup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 500gr chopped tomatoes or 250gr concentrated tomato juice
- 1 cinnamon
- 4-5 cloves ,
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 50gr fresh butter
- Salt, pepper
1. Slice the eggplants lengthwise, 1 centimeter thick . To remove the bitterness , salt them and leave for half an hour. Rinse with water and drain.
2. Ointment a pan with olive oil. Place olive oil in both sides of eggplants. Add rows of eggplant slices on the pan. Bake at 200° C for half an hour, until golden brown on both sides. This procedure is repeated until all the eggplants are baked.
3. In a saucepan, add 5 tablespoons olive oil and cook the onion for 5’. Add the meat and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the spices, salt and pepper. Leave the meat to simmer until all juices are evaporated. Remove the pieces of cinnamon and clove.
4. Spread half of the eggplant slices on a baking sheet 32 x 37 cm high. Sprinkle with the two tablespoons of parsley. Then pour over the meat in the pan, creating the middle layer. Continue with the remaining eggplant and remaining parsley.
5. Prepare MORFAT Bechamel, according to package instructions and place it over the eggplants.
6. Pour scattered pieces of fresh butter on the surface of MORFAT Bechamel and bake at 200° C for 45’, until the surface becomes brownish.
Alternatively, before grilling, you can top with some grated hard type cheese. Let it cool and cut into pieces.